Wednesday, May 8, 2013

They love watching TV

Since childhood, I liked watching television. You got me? I liked, not loved. Television, movies, songs- they were an inspiration for me to dream and think. Nothing more or less than that.

The problem started when I came to know that people around me love television more than anything else.

First in the list is my mom. She loves television. She used to come from her college (she's a professor) and switch on that idiot box. Her serials would just never end. And how can I forget about her obsession of following the news. Hmmm. One day I inquired what it was with the TV. She said its kind of stress-buster. She would talk to me if I demanded, we would enjoy rest of the time, but when I would not be around, she would conveniently switch on the TV, much to my chagrin. I thought whatever makes her happy!

My vexation increased when, as newly weds, I discovered my husband probably loves the television more than me. Just like my mother dear he would come and switch on that idiot box. English movies had replaced my mother's half an hour serials and sports channels had replaced news channels. Wow! I used to get very irritated with this habit, but it was not new for me and eventually I chillaxed! I even foolishly thought once, may be television offers a variety of experiences than my stupid, silly trivial talks. But what made me accept his love for television was the fact that he truly enjoys the experience of watching TV. He probably has best knowledge about football, football players, cricket, Bollywood and Hollywood. He gets totally involved in whatever he is watching. And that involvement is something very rare and respectful. So, I gave up on asking him to give up TV!

The third person in this category is a new entrant- an amateur. But the way she watches television is as if she has learned it from my womb. I had seriously not watched so much of television in my pregnancy that my two and half years old daughter makes me feel I did. Like all kids, she loves advertisements. She has now picked up the names of few serials my mother-in-law watches. If I watch a cookery show, she will aptly name the ingredient being used. Learnedly she says, Mamma its oil, salt, flour, sugar, mango or whatever damn thing that cook uses. ( She is very sharp in observing. One step ahead of her father! She notices each and every thing I use in the kitchen and thus knows most of the ingredients that are used in Indian cuisine. )

The other day she played all afternoon and slept at six o'clock in the evening. Concerned, as to she would not sleep at night I started waking her up. I said "Sanavi (that's her name) see your friend has come." She was dead asleep. "lets have ice-cream and chocolates", I said. She turned her body and off again in her slumber. "I am going out.", I confidently declared. This would definitely work, as she loves going out. To my dismay, there was no response. I said, "Sanavi, I switched on the TV. " Suddenly she got up and popped her head out of the bed to watch the TV. Her instant reaction and my success of waking her up made me smile. The smile widened when I thought to myself- this is just another beginning!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha...zyada tv dekhna manaa hai Sanvi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years back,Sunday morning while all of us were cozily sleeping, my mom cleverly switches on the tv.And we jump to brush to watch 'rangoli'...she applied same trick as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Changing Definitions of Womanhood

My husband’s post-Diwali leave ended by watching Jhimma 2, a Marathi movie with my in-laws. In-laws, technically yes, but have spent more of...