Thursday, April 18, 2013

Few days in a dog's life

Here I am, pregnant again! Can you believe it? And do you know whom I really feel like? I feel like a dog.... Surprised? 

Well, it simply means that I have become more and more and more and slightly more sensitive to the smells around. Actually, this is one of the symptoms of pregnancy. But this time, I am feeling the extreme of this one. I cribbed about it a lot. Got irritated and cried too. Felt like running away from my home to breathe some natural fresh air. But to my husband's gladness and my efforts I chose to take this whole smelly thing as few days in a dog's life! 

So here I am, a new me- trying to enjoy the smells and aromas of the world and the pathetic nausea that would go along. 

The main source of smell for me right now is the kitchen. The smell of boiling milk, kneaded wheat dough, cooked lentils in the cooker, smell of hot oil in a kadhai, smells of fruits and vegetables, etc, etc, etc. Did you know that you get a peculiar smell of cold food when you open the fridge? An Indian kitchen is complete only when the shelves are full of various masalas and flours. Turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, kasuri methi, chaat masala- they all smell so differently! The other day, we got thaleepeth bhajni (mixed grains flour) to make thaleepeth (traditional Maharashtrian dish). While my mother-in-law was kneading the flour, I patiently thought, there is something wrong with the flour, probably among the ingredients, coriander seeds are excess. After all, dogs are lucky to be blessed with this extraordinary sense!

The next source obviously being bathroom. The smell of soap and washing powder almost made me puke the other day. Last month, we got a beautifully smelling handwash liquid. With this extraordinary gift of smell, I asked my husband to throw it off, its pathetic I said. Hmmm, such a lot of patience that poor fellow would probably need! 

So, for him I decided to chill! 'Enjoy all these smells around', I tell myself these days- anyways you will become too busy to smell and analyse the world after the baby comes. So might as well do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing Definitions of Womanhood

My husband’s post-Diwali leave ended by watching Jhimma 2, a Marathi movie with my in-laws. In-laws, technically yes, but have spent more of...