Thursday, November 17, 2016

My Omkar Journey



Today after doing Omkar a very unusual awareness surfaced. I kept my eyes closed after completing the chants as I felt heavy waves from my neck till ears. I often felt some vibrations here and there after omkar- as most would who does it regularly. But today they were stronger and they kind of had some sound effect to them as they knocked prominently on my ear drum. After that felt really peaceful and the need for sleep and rest as if vanished. 

This peaceful Om started showering its blessings years ago. Today I share with you my Omkar journey.

I started with Om chanting when I used to go for singing classes after marriage. That teacher taught Om chanting on tabla beats- trital of 16 beats. We started with 14 o’s and 2 m’s and ended with 14 m’s and 2 o’s. I took it as I learnt other songs as a part of the teaching without interpretations. 

I started thinking about Omkar when I attended a two day seminar on Omkar conducted by some famous doctor from Ahmednagar. His work and teachings cannot be explained here currently. But the workshop was life changing.

The relationship went a stage ahead when I joined pregnancy yoga classes at Ambika Kutir, Thane. They taught omkar, differently this time. We spoke three Omkars with Ujjayi  inhalation, paused in the between to feel the Om and then again two Omkars with ujjayi inhalation. The pause in between was so beautiful that I will carry it throughout my life. Everytime in the pause, the baby in the womb would as if dance or move- too precious for a first time mother. They told Omkar in pregnancy has very positive effects on the child’s brain. Hmm, well all kids are very smart these days, so our daughter’s brain is the result of that Omkar or her father’s inherited intelligence or God’s grace- I don’t know!!!

My journey with Omkar as if paused after the birth of the baby. No singing, no omkar- nothing. Then came a borderline mild thyroid which started my Omkar routine again. This time I was very serious. Literally wihtin two weeks it came back to the normal level. Then I joined a regular three month course at the Ambika Kutir again and the relationship was maintained. 

The second pregnancy was another pause. This time there was no time to go for the yoga classes as there was one toddler at home already to take care of. I did whatever whenever possible. Since the Omkar was not regular so the beautiful feeling could not be captured. 

There was a pause again, this time of two years. The journey started when I joined a yoga diploma at Ghantali Mitra Mandal, Thane. The Omkar said here was different than the one taught at Ambika Kutir, but somewhat similar to the one we used to practice at the singing class. Here we first did the chanting in high pitch with more u-kar and less m-kar. Then there was a middle pitch chanting with equal proportion of u-kar and m-kar. Then came the low pitch chanting with more m-kar and less u-kar. And lastly came the mental chanting with no necessary proportions of u-kar and m-kar. This last chanting here was unique and its effects were more lasting I thought.

Today I almost daily practice Omkar- sometimes the Ghantali Mitra Mandal way and sometimes the Ambika Kutir way. All Omkars come out differently. Sometimes, like today, they are very effective. Why it happens will take some more of my sadhana and awareness. But the relationship with omkar has definitely grown since the beginning. It gets stronger each day as my daughters fall alseep almost daily with this beautiful sound of Om.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing Definitions of Womanhood

My husband’s post-Diwali leave ended by watching Jhimma 2, a Marathi movie with my in-laws. In-laws, technically yes, but have spent more of...